photo home_zpspjo8kmb0.png photo about us_zpsarf3yetn.png photo reviews_zpshqab7na7.png photo book recs_zpsdmrlfetg.png



.

December 31, 2014

End of Year Book Survey 2014


This is the End of Year Book Survey that was created by Jamie from Perpetual Page Turner. This is a great way to really reflect on all of the books we have read this past year! 

2014 Reading Stats


Number of Books You Read: 

Jacquelyn: 147 but I would really like to finish up one more
Audris: 73 so far but I need to finish 2 more to reach my goal of 75

Number of Re-Reads:

Jacquelyn: 0
Audris: 3! The Fault in Our Stars, City of Bones, and If I stay.

Genre You Read the Most From:

Jacquelyn: YA contemporary which is no surprise!
Audris: I think mine was contemporary as well.

Best In Books


1. Best Book You Read in 2014?

Jacquelyn: So this is a really hard question but the first book that comes to mind is Faking Normal but Courtney C. Stevens! But I have so many more amazing books I read this year!
Audris: This is tough! I read some really great books in 2014. I guess if I have to choose just one I'll go with We'll Always Have Summer by Jenny Han.

2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going to Love But Didn't? 

Jacquelyn: I was so excited to read Looking for Alaska by John Green because there was so much hype around it but I really did not enjoy it. 1.5/5 stars for me!
Audris: I was so excited to read Cruel Beauty, but it's the book I'm currently reading and I'm so close to DNFing it.

3. Most Surprising (in a good way or a bad way) book you read in 2014?

Jacquelyn: Hmm.. I'll do a good way. I will say Shadowlands by Kate Brian. I picked it up expecting it to be just a quick mystery but it was so much better! I read it so quickly and it was the first book to actually scare me. I was looking over my shoulders countless times! It's a wonderful book but I wasn't expecting it to be one of my favorites of the year.
Audris: Most surprising in a good way is definitely Under the Nevery Sky by Veronica Rossi. I started it a few times before and couldn't get into it. This time I finished and gave it 5/5 stars. One of my absolute favorites. I ran out to get the short story and sequel that same night.

4. Book You "Pushed" the Most People To Read (And They Did) in 2014?

Jacquelyn: I think it probably is Faking Normal by Courtney C. Stevens! 
Audris: I pushed my IRL friends to read Fire & Flood by Victoria Scott and the Summer series by Jenny Han <3

5. Best Series You Started in 2014? Best Sequel of 2014? Best Series Ender in 2014?

Jacquelyn: The best series I started would have to be the Shadowlands trilogy by Kate Brian! The best sequel could be Monument 14: Sky on Fire, the second book in the Monument 14 trilogy. The best series ender I read in 2014 would probably have to be We'll Always Have Summer by Jenny Han!
Audris: For best series starter I want to say Under the Never Sky again, but I'm going to go with To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han. Best sequel would be Insurgent by Veronica Roth. I flew through it! The best series ender also goes to We'll Always Have Summer by Jenny Han. AHH THAT BOOK. MY HEART. 

6. Favorite New Author You Discovered in 2014?

Jacquelyn: I feel like I've mentioned this book and authors a few times too much already but Courtney C. Stevens!
Audris: Abigail Haas, aka Abby McDonald.

7. Best Book From a Genre You Don't Typically Read/ Was Out of Your Comfort Zone? 

Jacquelyn: First book that comes to mind is Zom-B by Darren Shan! It was my first ever zombie book and I didn't know what to expect but I ended up enjoying it and giving it 4 stars!
Audris: I typically don't read a lot of adult books, so 24/7 by Jim Brown took me by surprise. It's a mystery/thriller that takes place on an island where a reality tv show is being filmed. My best friend kept on pushing me to read it and I ended up giving it 4/5 stars.

8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?

Jacquelyn: Again, it would have to be Shadowlands by Kate Brian! Such a thrilling and action-packed read!
Audris: Oh! This one has to be False Memory by Dan Krokos. Non-stop action from the first to the last page.

9. Book You Read In 2014 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?

Jacquelyn: Truthfully, even though I read many amazing books I won't reread any of them next year because I am not a big fan of rereading books. 
Audris: I usually wait a year or two to reread a book. Although, I might break this for any of Jenny Han's books I read this year. The Summer series might become a staple read for me each summer.

10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2014? 

Jacquelyn: 
Audris: 
Fangirl

11. Most memorable character of 2014?

Jacquelyn: Alexa from Faking Normal
Audris: Roar from Under the Never Sky. I can't control my fangirling for him.

12. Most beautifully written book of 2014?

Jacquelyn: Either Falling Into Place by Amy Zhang or Faking Normal
Audris: A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness

13. Most thought-provoking/life-changing book of 2014?

Jacquelyn: Ooh! Maybe Hate List by Jennifer Brown! 
Audris: If by thought-provoking you mean most mind-fucking then I go with Dangerous Girls by Abigail Haas. I was up late into the night thinking about it and messaging Racquel from The Book Barbies.

14. Book you can't believe you wanted UNTIL 2014 to finally read?

Jacquelyn: Falling Into You by Lisa Schroeder! Only came out in 2013 but still. LOL
Audris: The Great Gatsby. I didn't particularly like it, but I still feel like the last person on earth to ever read it.

15. Favorite passage/quote from a book you read in 2014? 

Jacquelyn: There are so many but I really loved, “Just like there's always time for pain, there's always time for healing.” which is from Hate List. 
Audris: One of my favorites is from Dangerous Boys by Abigail Haas.
“Our lives are made up of choices. Big ones, small ones, strung together by the thin air of good intentions; a line of dominoes, ready to fall. Which shirt to wear on a cold winter's morning, what crappy junk food to eat for lunch. It starts out so innocently, you don't even notice: go to this party or that movie, listen to this song, or read that book, and then, somehow, you've chosen your college and career; your boyfriend or wife.” 

16. Shortest & longest book you read in 2014?

Jacquelyn: Longest: Impulse by Ellen Hopkins (666 pages) Shortest: Bee-Bim-Bop by Linda Sue Park (32 pages)
Audris: Longest: Allegiant by Veronica Roth (526 pages); Shortest (novella): The New World by Patrick Ness (25 pages)

17. Book that shocked you the most? 

Jacquelyn: Shadowlands by Kate Brian! Such a thrilling book with many plot twists!
Audris: Dangerous Girls, once again, that book is insane.

18. OTP of the year (you will go down in this ship!)

Jacquelyn: Alexa and Bodee from Faking Normal
Audris: Hmmm mine is kind of spoilery, but the couple from To All the Boys I've Loved Before. If you've read it you know. YOU KNOW!

19. Favorite non-romantic relationship of the year

Jacquelyn: Bruno and Shmuel from The Boy in the Striped Pajamas
Audris: Aria and Roar from Under the Never Sky. Their friendship makes me want to cry. It's beautiful and honest.

20. Favorite book you read in 2014 from an author you've read previously: 

Jacquelyn: Either The Impossible Knife of Memory by Laurie Halse Anderson or On The Fence by Kasie West
Audris: To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han. I read Burn for Burn last year but this one is going in the all time favorites list.

21. Favorite book you read in 2014 that you read based solely on a recommendation from someone else/peer pressure: 

Jacquelyn: We Were Liars by E. Lockhart. There was so much hype so I finally just picked it up and although I did like it, I didn't understand why there was as much hype as their was. 
Audris: Dangerous Girls by Abigail Haas. Thanks Racquel!

22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2014? 

Jacquelyn: Bodee from Faking Normal
Audris: Roar from Under the Never Sky.

23. Best 2014 debut you read?

Jacquelyn: SO MANY! I am going to pick 2. Faking Normal by Courtney C. Stevens, and Falling Into Place by Amy Zhang.
Audris: Wow! I didn't read many debuts at all. The best one was Boomerang by Noelle August. An NA debut by Veronica Rossi and Lorin Oberweger. Fun, fun, fun!


24. Best worldbuilding/most vivid setting you read this year?

Jacquelyn: Monument 14 by Emmy Laybourne!
Audris: Fire & Flood by Victoria Scott! The world is fantastic and the whole world comes to life as you read it.

25. Book that put a smile on your face/was the most fun to read?

Jacquelyn: A Little Something Different by Sandy Hall
Audris: To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han. I had a smile on my face the whole time. This is one of the cutest books I've read.

26. Book that made you cry or nearly cry in 2014? 

Jacquelyn: I've never cried while reading a book but The Boy in the Striped Pajamas was very emotional! 
Audris: Torn Away by Jennifer Brown. Half way through the book I was tearing up with every sentence. I don't usually cry so this is a big deal. Honorary mention goes to We'll Always Have Summer by Jenny Han. I was so attached to the characters. They felt like my best friends.

27. Hidden Gem of the Year?

Jacquelyn: I think more people need to read this book and it is To All The Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han!
Audris: Torn Away by Jennifer Brown. This is going to be my answer for half of these questions haha. Seriously, read it!

28. Book that crushed your soul? 

Jacquelyn: Falling Into Place by Amy Zhang
Audris: Torn Away by Jennifer Brown (seeing a pattern?). Once again, the emotions this book made me feel were out of control.

29. Most unique book you read in 2014? 

Jacquelyn: This Star Won't Go Out by Esther Earl
Audris: Horrorstör by Grady Hendrix. This is a horror novel that looks like an ikea catalog. How much more unique can it get? Plus the horror aspect was different and refreshing.

30. Book that made you the most mad (doesn't necessarily mean mean you didn't like it)? 

Jacquelyn: The Raft by S.A. Bodeen! I still liked this book but some things that MC did were so annoying! 
Audris: Losing It by Cora Carmack. I disliked the relationship, I was angry at how jealous the main guy was. Just no. But I love Cora Carmack's other series, All Lined Up! Great romance there!

Your Blogging/Bookish Life


1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2014? 

Jacquelyn: One of them is Nori's blog at ReadWriteLove28
Audris: I love a lot of blogs, but I'm going to give this one to a booktube channel and say Jeff and Jamie from Ermahgerdberks. I've actually been watching their videos while I fill out this survey. They're hilarious!

2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2014?

Jacquelyn: Don't have many options since I just started blogging so I am going to skip this question. 
Audris: My review of Torn Away by Jennifer Brown. It was such an emotional book and I think that showed in my review. I was an emotional mess reading this book.

3. Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog?

Jacquelyn: I liked my November wrap-up! Why, I don't know. lol
Audris: I love my Supernatural Fangirl post. It was SO MUCH FUN to write!

4. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)? 

Jacquelyn: I haven't been to any book events but I have loved all of the readathons I have participated in so far.
Audris: I went to Marissa Meyer's book signing with my best friend Tiffany! Marissa told us stories of her adventures before being published and she also told us some original fairytales. Obviously there was some swooning over the Lunar Chronicle boys as well. So much fun!


5. Best Moment of bookish/blogging life of 2014?

Jacquelyn: Probably getting my first ARC from a publisher
Audris: This is going to sound cheesy *clears throat* but all the awesome bloggers and fellow readers I've met have made 2014 a great year. Thank YOU!

6. Most popular post this year on your blog (whether it be comments or views)? 

Audris: Our most popular post this year, views wise, is a What's in My Purse guest post with A. C. Gaughen, author of Scarlet and Lady Thief. Surprisingly it has ZERO comments. Our most popular post, comments wise, is My Top Ten Books Read in 2014 post.

7. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love? 

Jacquelyn: I think every post could get a little more love! I am pretty bad at commenting myself (going to change this in 2015) but I think all of our posts could have gotten a bit more love. ;)
Audris: I wish some of my discussion posts had gotten a little more love, like my Anticipation Killers post. But I'm happy with every comment I get! :)

8. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?

Jacquelyn: I discovered Book Outlet! I have only made one purchase from them but I love their site and can't wait to purchase more books from them in the future. 
Audris: I think Book Outlet is going to be everyones response. That site seriously rocks and I've purchased most of my books from there this year. Love it! I also discovered Libib, but I haven't really used it yet. I hope to use it more in 2015 to keep track of books I buy, reading challenges, and movies I watch.

9. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?

Jacquelyn: Yes! I completed my GR reading challenge and had to up it a few times!
Audris: I completed the Percy Jackson series and the Divergent trilogy. And once I finish the two books I'm currently reading I'll complete my Goodreads challenge.

Looking Ahead


1. One book you didn't get to in 2014 but will be your number one priority in 2015?

Jacquelyn: Hopefully Since You've Been Gone by Morgan Matson!
Audris: Rebel Belle by Rachel Hawkins! This was my number one most anticipated book of 2014. I bought it and then didn't read it! Whyyyy?!

2. Book You Are Most Anticipating for 2015 (non-debut)?

Jacquelyn: SO MANY! But The Fill-In Boyfriend by Kasie West
Audris: A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas. Hands down, no questions asked. I will cry the day this book makes its way into my hands.

3. 2015 debut you are most anticipating? 

Jacquelyn: Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon
Audris: The Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard. That cover! That summary!

4. Series ending/sequel you are most anticipating in 2015?

Jacquelyn: P.S. I Still Love You by Jenny Han 
Audris: I second Jacquelyn!

5. One thing you hope to accomplish or do in your reading/blogging life in 2015?

Jacquelyn: I want to read 150 books and try to post 2-3 times a week. 
Audris: I want to read 105 books and finally finish some of my series.

6. A 2015 release you've already read & recommend to everyone: 

Jacquelyn: Things We Know By Heart by Jessi Kirby! SO AMAZING
Audris: I've held out on my 2015 releases but I'm so excited for all of the ones I'll be reading in January!



2 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to read To All the Boys I've Loved Before since everyone had been getting ARCs and now that I've finally got it I'm kind of nervous to read it! Jenny Han's Summer series has been one of my favourite contemp series since I was around 12/13 and I'm so NERVOUS that this will let me down. This post has ABSOLUTELY made me want to read it even more and I hope that I'll love it as much as you girls do :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Under the Never Sky is one of my very favorite series! I'm happy you have it another chance. Perry and Aria are amazing together. <3 I also loved Fire & Flood (underrated, IMO!), Faking Normal, and The Impossible Knife of Memory.
    Looks like you two had a fantastic reading year. Happy 2015 to you!

    Danielle @ Love at First Page

    ReplyDelete